With the fall TV season approaching, some Americans may be wondering what Ashton Kutcher will pocket for yucking it up in place of Charlie Sheen on CBS' Two and a Half Men. What will Lea Michele earn for strenuously belting her heart out on Glee? Here's a sampling of TV's star salaries:
Typical salary per episode for lead actors on a new prime-time network series, according to Stephen Battaglio and Michael Schneider at TV Guide. (Most network series have 22-26 episodes per season.)
Salary per episode that Charlie Sheen took home in his final season of Two and a Half Men
Salary per episode that Ashton Kutcher will receive for replacing Sheen on Two and a Half Men
Salary per episode of Kutcher's less famous Two and a Half Men co-star, Jon Cryer
Salary per episode Tim Allen and Kiefer Sutherland will each receive for returning to TV this season for the ABC sitcom Last Man Standing and the Fox drama Touch, respectively
Salary per episode Tim Allen received on Home Improvement during its final season
Salary per episode that Kiefer Sutherland received for the Fox drama 24 in 2009
Christina Aguilera's salary per episode to judge The Voice, according to Brian Moylan at Gawker
Salary per episode of Aguilera's Voice co-judges Adam Levine, Cee-Lo Green, and Blake Shelton
Katie Couric's annual salary before she left CBS Evening News. Her replacement, Scott Pelley, "started at under a third" of that figure.
Matt Lauer's annual salary for hosting the Today show. That's $4 million more than Brian Williams, $5 million more than Diane Sawyer, $6 million more than Anderson Cooper, and $7 million more than Bill O'Reilly.
Ted Danson's per-episode salary for CSI, on which he'll replace Laurence Fishburne this year. Fishburne took home $350,000 per episode.
Salary per episode earned by The Big Bang Theory's Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, and Kaley Cuoco, says James Hibberd at The Hollywood Reporter. Their show was TV's most-watched comedy last season.
Salary per episode earned by each of the Friends stars at the height of their show's popularity
Tina Fey's per-episode salary for 30 Rock
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
Subscribe to the Week