The video: Who's after Nucky? If the "menacing" new teaser for season two of Boardwalk Empire is any indication, everybody. HBO's Emmy-nominated drama returns Sept. 25, and an ominous 90-second video gives a taste of what's to come. (Watch the teaser below.) Steve Buscemi's corrupt politician Nucky walks down the Atlantic City boardwalk, his paranoid gaze locking onto each of the series' other major players. Tense music bubbles up as familiar faces — including his brother, former girlfriend, and Al Capone — shoot Nucky sideways glances and shout his name. The foreboding teaser closes as Nucky realizes the haunting episode was just a daydream —before one final mysterious off-screen voice chillingly whispers his name.
The reaction: This is a "fantastic piece of mood-setting," says Rick Porter at Zap2it. Even though this isn't actual footage from the upcoming season, says Ethan Anderton at Collider, it's a tantalizing "taste of what's to come." Especially that final kicker: Who's whispering Nucky's name at the end? Regardless, it looks like Nucky will find himself encountering danger from all sides, says Emma Fraser at TV Overmind. "Even from those who he should be able to count on." Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week