The video: Who's after Nucky? If the "menacing" new teaser for season two of Boardwalk Empire is any indication, everybody. HBO's Emmy-nominated drama returns Sept. 25, and an ominous 90-second video gives a taste of what's to come. (Watch the teaser below.) Steve Buscemi's corrupt politician Nucky walks down the Atlantic City boardwalk, his paranoid gaze locking onto each of the series' other major players. Tense music bubbles up as familiar faces — including his brother, former girlfriend, and Al Capone — shoot Nucky sideways glances and shout his name. The foreboding teaser closes as Nucky realizes the haunting episode was just a daydream —before one final mysterious off-screen voice chillingly whispers his name.
The reaction: This is a "fantastic piece of mood-setting," says Rick Porter at Zap2it. Even though this isn't actual footage from the upcoming season, says Ethan Anderton at Collider, it's a tantalizing "taste of what's to come." Especially that final kicker: Who's whispering Nucky's name at the end? Regardless, it looks like Nucky will find himself encountering danger from all sides, says Emma Fraser at TV Overmind. "Even from those who he should be able to count on." Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to make corn dogs
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week