The video: Who's after Nucky? If the "menacing" new teaser for season two of Boardwalk Empire is any indication, everybody. HBO's Emmy-nominated drama returns Sept. 25, and an ominous 90-second video gives a taste of what's to come. (Watch the teaser below.) Steve Buscemi's corrupt politician Nucky walks down the Atlantic City boardwalk, his paranoid gaze locking onto each of the series' other major players. Tense music bubbles up as familiar faces — including his brother, former girlfriend, and Al Capone — shoot Nucky sideways glances and shout his name. The foreboding teaser closes as Nucky realizes the haunting episode was just a daydream —before one final mysterious off-screen voice chillingly whispers his name.
The reaction: This is a "fantastic piece of mood-setting," says Rick Porter at Zap2it. Even though this isn't actual footage from the upcoming season, says Ethan Anderton at Collider, it's a tantalizing "taste of what's to come." Especially that final kicker: Who's whispering Nucky's name at the end? Regardless, it looks like Nucky will find himself encountering danger from all sides, says Emma Fraser at TV Overmind. "Even from those who he should be able to count on." Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- Girls on Film: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay isn't an action movie. It's a war movie.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
Subscribe to the Week