The video: Sidewinder, an Air National Guard band from Missouri that's stationed in the Middle East, has become a viral sensation with an "awesome" cover of Adele's hit song "Rolling in the Deep." The video, which has garnered more than 320,000 hits on YouTube, shows the soulful group decked out in fatigues in what looks like a warehouse. (Watch the video below.) The clip was uploaded to YouTube by an anonymous user calling himself "areyousurprised." The band's frontwoman, Staff Sgt. Angie Johnson, was indeed surprised to learn that she and her powerful, gorgeous voice had gone viral — she had no idea until Carson Daly reached out to her on Twitter. Her initial response? "Totally can't believe I'm tweeting with you right now. Jaw.On.Floor." NBC's The Voice and producer Mark Burnett have since contacted her, too.
The reaction: "We all know servicemen and women are extraordinarily capable people, but who knew they could sing too?" says Lindsay Mannering at The Stir. This band should get its own recording contract — "or at least a trophy in some military talent show." Yeah, it's an "amazing" cover, says Margaret Hartmann at Jezebel. "Even better than the kids on Glee." Still, I wish everyone would stop covering this song, says Michelle Collins at VH1's Best Week Ever. "How many times do you have to walk into the supermarket for nectarines and walk out with this [song] hot glued into your skull cavity for the rest of the day?" Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week