he image: Apple fanatics can get a blurry look at Apple's futuristic headquarters-to-be from a video of Steve Jobs presenting plans for the new campus before the Cupertino City Council in June. Now, Cupertino has released detailed plans for the project, providing "glorious images of Apple's new spaceship headquarters." The single, ring-shaped building will hold 12,000 people within curved glass walls. Most of the parking will be underground to preserve the 175-acre lot for landscaping. The four-story building, designed by superstar British architect Norman Foster, will total 2.8 million square feet, including an auditorium and fitness center. (Have a look below and here.) Does it look like a cool work environment, or just a creepy one?
The reaction: This is "sure to be the coolest office building ever," says MG Siegler at TechCrunch. Well, it certainly "could inspire the making of the next Spielberg sci-fi movie," says Surojit Chatterjee in the International Business Times. Yeah, it does look like "it could lodge an army of E.T.s," says Suzanne LaBarre at Co.Design. It's pretty "damn creepy... like the compound of a cult leader. (Which is really what it is, come to think of it!)"
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- The toughest question for 2016 Democratic presidential candidates
- Instagram might be ruining our memories. Here's why that's a good thing.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
Subscribe to the Week