Typically, brands pay celebrities to wear their clothes, but Tuesday night, Abercrombie & Fitch inverted the equation. The preppy clothier issued a statement calling on Jersey Shore's Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, who favors A&F gear, to "wear an alternate brand" on camera, saying it was "deeply concerned" with the oft-reinforced association between the train-wreck star and its clothing. Given that one of A&F's biggest sellers is a graphic tee emblazoned with "The Fitchuation," it's unclear whether the press release is merely a publicity ploy. One thing is for certain: This particular situation has commentators cracking wise. Here, a sampling:
I'm confused here
Abercrombie's desire to distance itself from The Situation would seem to imply that the brand doesn't want to be associated with "shallow, materialistic people willing to spend unseemly amounts on ugly T-shirts in a desperate attempt to fit in and/or cling to an ideal of youth," says Sean O'Neal at The Onion's A.V. Club. Yeah, that's "hardly the clientele they want [and attract] at Abercrombie & Fitch."
"Abercrombie should be grateful for any link between their attire and the zeitgeist," says Megan Gibson at TIME. "Frankly, we haven't thought about the brand this much since LFO's 'Summer Girls,' and that was back in 1999."
"So, what's going on here? Some kind of joint PR stunt?" asks Caroline Bankoff in New York. "Or is A&F just experiencing the shame and regret countless grenades have felt upon waking up at 1209 Ocean Terrace after an epic night at Karma and realizing what, exactly, it means to sign a release form?"
Don't tell Heidi Montag
"This could start a whole new trend. I can imagine Heidi Montag hitting up a retailer, saying, 'You better pay me or I'll start wearing your clothes in public,'" says The Boston Herald. "That is, if anyone cared about Heidi Montag any more."
What about me?
"I never wear Abercrombie clothes," says Jen Chaney in The Washington Post. "Can I have five bucks?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- How America's broken immigration system is failing the military
Subscribe to the Week