he video: The band OK Go has earned more kudos for its innovative music videos than for the music itself. So it's perhaps predictable that the band has produced something of a greatest highlights reel for its new collaboration with the Muppets — a video cover of the Muppet Show theme song that quotes the treadmill choreography from "Here It Goes Again" and the dog tricks from "White Knuckle" along with bits of Muppet lore. (Watch the video below.) The song comes from the just-released Green Album, an indie-rock homage to Muppet songs that's part of the build-up to November's Muppet Movie.
The reaction: How could you lose with this combination of "OK Go's visual masterpieces and a ton of Muppet humor"? asks Casey Chan at Gizmodo. I've watched it six times already, and I'm going to "keep this video on repeat" until The Muppet Movie comes out. Meh, I expected more "viral genius," says Margaret Lyons at New York. The video's "cute — maybe even very cute" — but its clever and "charming reality-bending" parts never quite meld into a satisfying whole. Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash
Subscribe to the Week