It may seem obvious that Snooki and Kim Kardashian are not in the same stratosphere as Marilyn Monroe and Meryl Streep, but Ana Martinez, a producer for the Hollywood Walk of Fame, just made it bluntly official. When asked if reality TV figures would be considered for stars on the famous 15-block tourist attraction, Martinez responded, "Hell to the No!" She later dialed that back, suggesting that stars for Snooki and Co. are just "not on our radar right now." But given the zeitgeist relevance of Jersey Shore, which outdraws most scripted TV shows in the ratings, and the Royal Wedding-like status afforded to Kardashian's recent nuptials, is this ban misguided?
No. There must be boundaries: "I'm not opposed to reality television," says Mack Rawden at Cinema Blend, but kudos to the Hollywood Walk of Fame for maintaining standards. "[A would-be contender] must bring some sort of skill to the table beyond personal intrigue or inherent likability to be star worthy." Granted, Vanna White has a star. But the difference between hosting a beloved TV game show for decades and squabbling publicly for reality TV cameras is pretty clear.
"Hollywood Walk of Fame not adding reality stars"
But reality stars are legitmately famous: This is not "the Hollywood Walk of Talent," says Asa Hawks at Starcasm. It's the Hollywood Walk of Fame. "Who in the world would try to argue that Kim Kardashian is not famous?... this is all a bunch of hoity-toity nonsense feeding a ridiculous anti-reality show sentiment."
"Hollywood Walk of Fame says 'Hell to the No!' to reality stars"
And Kim Kardashian may still prevail: Our fascination with reality stars — and, consequently, their fame — has "a much shorter shelf life" than other entertainers, says Aly Semigran at Entertainment Weekly. But that's not to say that reality TV personalities can't turn fleeting notoriety into star-worthy careers. Just look at Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson, who got her start as an awkward loudmouth on "American Idol." Snooki and Kim shouldn't give up hope yet.
"Hollywood Walk of Fame says 'Hell to the no!' to reality stars. Somewhere, Snooki cries, 'Wahhh!'"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week