The video: In a fiery Labor Day speech, Teamsters Union President James Hoffa accused the Tea Party of starting a "war on workers," and promised President Obama an army of voters to take the country back. (See the video below.) "We are ready to march," Hoffa said shortly before Obama took the stage at a Michigan rally Monday. "Everybody here's got to vote. If we go back, and we keep the eye on the prize, let's take these son of a bitches out and give America back to an America where we belong." Tea Party leaders quickly condemned Hoffa's remarks as an "inexcusable" call "for violence on peaceful Tea Party members." Hoffa says his rhetoric is no worse than what conservatives employ.
The reaction: "So, this is hope and change?" asks Jim Hoft at The Gateway Pundit. President Obama failed by not immediately distancing himself from this "violent and hateful rhetoric." Hold on, says Charles Johnson at Little Green Footballs. The only reason right-wing bloggers are "going ballistic" over this is that Fox News, in one of its "sleaziest, most dishonest" distortions ever, repeatedly aired an edited portion of Hoffa's remarks that made it sound like he wanted to take out Tea Party Republicans with violence instead of ballots. Indeed, this is merely "standard tough-guy political talk," says Patterico's Pontifications. But liberals who "tried to blame Sarah Palin for the shooting of Gabby Giffords" should remember this the next time they complain that conservatives are talking too tough. Watch a Fox clip below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 10 things you need to know today: August 28, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- When it comes to ISIS, our Congress is full of cowards
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week