The video: In a fiery Labor Day speech, Teamsters Union President James Hoffa accused the Tea Party of starting a "war on workers," and promised President Obama an army of voters to take the country back. (See the video below.) "We are ready to march," Hoffa said shortly before Obama took the stage at a Michigan rally Monday. "Everybody here's got to vote. If we go back, and we keep the eye on the prize, let's take these son of a bitches out and give America back to an America where we belong." Tea Party leaders quickly condemned Hoffa's remarks as an "inexcusable" call "for violence on peaceful Tea Party members." Hoffa says his rhetoric is no worse than what conservatives employ.
The reaction: "So, this is hope and change?" asks Jim Hoft at The Gateway Pundit. President Obama failed by not immediately distancing himself from this "violent and hateful rhetoric." Hold on, says Charles Johnson at Little Green Footballs. The only reason right-wing bloggers are "going ballistic" over this is that Fox News, in one of its "sleaziest, most dishonest" distortions ever, repeatedly aired an edited portion of Hoffa's remarks that made it sound like he wanted to take out Tea Party Republicans with violence instead of ballots. Indeed, this is merely "standard tough-guy political talk," says Patterico's Pontifications. But liberals who "tried to blame Sarah Palin for the shooting of Gabby Giffords" should remember this the next time they complain that conservatives are talking too tough. Watch a Fox clip below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- How to make salads for reluctant salad eaters
Subscribe to the Week