The video: A new free video game lets players club, shoot, or otherwise destroy post-apocalyptic zombie versions of conservatives and Fox News personalities like Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, Newt Gingrich, Sean Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly. Not all the target zombies are celebrities — you can also decimate undead creatures with generic right-wing names like "Pissed Off Stupid White Trash Redneck Birther Zombie." (Watch a clip below.) The "gruesome" online game — called "Tea Party Zombies Must Die" — was created as a "personal project" by Jason Oda of video game ad firm StarvingEyes Advergaming.
The reaction: This product of violent liberal hatred goes further than an exercise in "over-the-top stupidity," says Bryan Preston at Pajamas Media. Like "the propaganda hate films used to smear the Jews back in 1930s Europe," this game clearly incites violence against real people. Yes, this video game is "dumb and tasteless," says Joe Coscarelli at New York. But the "manufactured outrage" on the Right equals it for lameness. The difference between this "surprisingly slick" zombie first-person shooter game and, say, Palin's crosshairs map or Rick Perry's threats against Fed Chairman Bernanke is that "the game was not signed off on by a professional politician." Sample the game for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week