he video: A new free video game lets players club, shoot, or otherwise destroy post-apocalyptic zombie versions of conservatives and Fox News personalities like Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, Newt Gingrich, Sean Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly. Not all the target zombies are celebrities — you can also decimate undead creatures with generic right-wing names like "Pissed Off Stupid White Trash Redneck Birther Zombie." (Watch a clip below.) The "gruesome" online game — called "Tea Party Zombies Must Die" — was created as a "personal project" by Jason Oda of video game ad firm StarvingEyes Advergaming.
The reaction: This product of violent liberal hatred goes further than an exercise in "over-the-top stupidity," says Bryan Preston at Pajamas Media. Like "the propaganda hate films used to smear the Jews back in 1930s Europe," this game clearly incites violence against real people. Yes, this video game is "dumb and tasteless," says Joe Coscarelli at New York. But the "manufactured outrage" on the Right equals it for lameness. The difference between this "surprisingly slick" zombie first-person shooter game and, say, Palin's crosshairs map or Rick Perry's threats against Fed Chairman Bernanke is that "the game was not signed off on by a professional politician." Sample the game for yourself:
- WATCH: Australia's army chief demonstrates how you address sex abuse
- The last telegram ever is about to be sent
- Michael Hastings, remembered
- WATCH: John Oliver tackles the politics of immigration reform
- The last word: He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How typeface influences the way we read and think
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- New Snowden leak: NSA, Britain's GCHQ, eavesdropped on foreign leaders
- The 10-cent revolution: Everything you need to know about Brazil's massive protests