Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: A research fellow at the London School of Economics has written a book that suggests working women can manipulate male co-workers by using their “erotic capital”—dressing well and subtly flirting. So we asked you to come up with the title of the next how-to-succeed-at-business book based on the painfully obvious.
FIRST PRIZE: Suck Up for Success
Dean Schechinger, Papillion, NE
SECOND PLACE: Leave it to Cleavage
Earlene Austin, New Hope, PA
THIRD PLACE: How to Succeed in Your Father’s Business
Chet Frankenfield, Palo Alto, CA
7 Habits of Highly Seductive People
Stephen Grant, Bronxville, NY
Your Reward for Working Hard: More Work
Steve Thompson, La Crescenta, CA
What Color is Your Underwear?
Peter Jenkins, Gill, MA
Getting to Yes! Yes! Yes!
Rob James, San Francisco, CA
He Who Laughs Last (at the Boss’s Jokes) Doesn’t Last
Ben Pennings, Little Chute, WI
Those Who Can’t, Don’t
Jeff Camp, Piedmont, CA
Think Inside the Box
Sara Bruner, Cleveland
Performance Reviews Document Reasons to Fire You
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
Ten Secrets to Success You Haven’t Heard Of (Because They’re Really Stupid)
Edmund Conti, Raleigh, NC
The Edison Principle: How Smart, Motivated People Who Work Hard Are Likely to Accomplish More
Wolfe Maykut, Seattle, WA
Increase Your Bottom Line by Selling More
Lou Port, Rockville, MD
The Art of Wearing a Clean Shirt
Kristyn Harrell, Mequon, WI
Everybody Likes Cake
Emmy Laybourne, Chestnut Ridge, NY
You’re Going to Fail
Laurie Precht, Westminster, MD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to make classic pulled pork
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week