mericans are still swilling plenty of beer, but their tastes are changing. Sales of Budweiser, long America's best-selling brew, are on the decline as beer drinkers opt for imports, low-calorie options, and craft beers. Bud is just one of several once-popular beers, with American branding if not ownership, that have seen "staggering" losses in recent years. Here, a brief guide to the shift, by the numbers:
Percent decline in Budweiser sales from 2005 to 2010. Sales of the lower calorie Bud Light, on the other hand, held steady during that same period
Decrease in the number of barrels sold — a "massive loss"
Calories in a can of Budweiser
Calories in a can of Bud Light
Number of America's 23 largest selling beer brands that saw a 30 percent or greater decline from 2005 to 2010
Percent loss experienced by Michelob during that time, the greatest of any beer brand
Increase in the number of beer barrels across all brands sold from 2005 to 2010
Decrease in the number of barrels sold of the top 20 beer brands, suggesting that Americans are increasingly choosing to drink imported or craft beers
Number of beer brands, including American stalwarts like Budweiser, Michelob, and Busch, that are owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev, a Belgian-Brazilian beer company. InBev acquired the American company, Anheuser-Busch, for a cool $52 billion in 2008, creating the world's largest beer concern.
Amount the company spent on advertising in 2010, according to Advertising Age
Number of years the Budweiser Clydesdales have been associated with the brand Budweiser. There were introduced in 1933 to celebrate the end of national Prohibition
Number of gallons of beers chugged by the average American consumer in 2010, making it the nation's most popular alcoholic beverage
Number of gallons of carbonated soda sipped by the average American consumer in 2010
Number of gallons of water the average American consumer drank in 2010
Sources: Advertising Age, Daily Mail, Drink America, MSNBC, Wall Street Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week