The video: It's the two-and-a-half minutes Twihards have been waiting for all summer. The official trailer of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 was released Tuesday night (view clip below), teasing viewers with glimpses of major plot points in the series' upcoming fourth film, including the ill-advised human/vampire wedding between Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Edward (Robert Pattinson) and their notorious bed-breaking, pillow-tearing honeymoon sex scene. Pain follows pleasure when Bella becomes pregnant with a mutant baby that threatens to — as Edward says — "crush" her "from the inside out."
The reaction: Despite boasting a new director — Oscar-winner Bill Condon (Kinsey, Dreamgirls) — the latest Twilight film will apparently deliver more of the same excessively "melodramatic" romance, says Ethan Anderton at First Showing. If the trailer hoped to hook non-Twihards, says Russ Fischer at Slash Film, it should have cut to the chase: "Let's just get to that weird half-vampire birth scene, eh?" Actually, the clip gave me about as much as I want of "what I expect to be a fairly horrifying childbirth," says Kelly West at Cinema Blend — at least until the film's Nov. 18 release. Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
Subscribe to the Week