he video: It's the two-and-a-half minutes Twihards have been waiting for all summer. The official trailer of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 was released Tuesday night (view clip below), teasing viewers with glimpses of major plot points in the series' upcoming fourth film, including the ill-advised human/vampire wedding between Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Edward (Robert Pattinson) and their notorious bed-breaking, pillow-tearing honeymoon sex scene. Pain follows pleasure when Bella becomes pregnant with a mutant baby that threatens to — as Edward says — "crush" her "from the inside out."
The reaction: Despite boasting a new director — Oscar-winner Bill Condon (Kinsey, Dreamgirls) — the latest Twilight film will apparently deliver more of the same excessively "melodramatic" romance, says Ethan Anderton at First Showing. If the trailer hoped to hook non-Twihards, says Russ Fischer at Slash Film, it should have cut to the chase: "Let's just get to that weird half-vampire birth scene, eh?" Actually, the clip gave me about as much as I want of "what I expect to be a fairly horrifying childbirth," says Kelly West at Cinema Blend — at least until the film's Nov. 18 release. Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week