arget's had its share of empty shelves and long lines, but on Tuesday, an unprecedented frenzy was unleashed in the chain's stores as shoppers clamored to get their hands on the Missoni for Target line, the retail giant's collaboration with Italian fashion house Missoni, known for its (apparently zeal-inducing) zig-zag-pattern knits. Stores sold out in a matter of minutes, and the equally mobbed Target website was down for much of the day. Here, a guide to the madness, by the numbers:
Number of pieces in the Missoni for Target collection. It's the retailer's "biggest and most buzz-worthy limited edition collaboration yet," says Alyssa Newcomb at ABC News.
$2.99 to $599.99
Cost of the items in the collection, from stationery to an outdoor furniture set (out of stock on the Target website)
Cost of most of the items in the Target collection
Cost of a Missoni by Target sleeveless sweater dress
$150 to $300
Cost of the same dress on eBay, where it's being resold as a collectible
Up to $12,000
Cost of Missoni items at luxury department store Bergdorf Goodman
Number of freestanding Missoni boutiques around the world
Number of Target stores in 49 states. (Vermont is the only state without a Target.)
Number of minutes it took the West Hollywood, Calif., Target to sell out of Missoni products, according to one shopper
More than 200
Number of shoppers lined up outside the Harlem, N.Y., Target at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, waiting for the store to open
Approximate number of minutes it took the Target website to crash after the Missoni products were made available online at 6 a.m. Tuesday
Number of Missoni for Target items available on eBay by 5 p.m. Tuesday, 11 hours after they'd been on the Target site
Number of Missoni for Target items available on eBay by Wednesday morning
- The secrets of happy families
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Did God have a wife?
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week