The video: Greta Van Susteren and Tucker Carlson had a cable news brawl for the record books Monday night, when they sparred over Carlson's decision to publish graphic, offensive comments made by Mike Tyson about Sarah Palin's alleged one-night stand with basketball player Glen Rice. The "Fox News civil war" began in earnest Friday night, when a story was published on Carlson's The Daily Caller website under the headline "Mike Tyson: Sarah Palin met 'the wombshifter.'" The article is packed with plenty of "repulsive" sexual comments from Tyson. On Sunday, Van Susteren attacked Carlson for publishing the piece, calling him a "pig" and a "purveyor of smut." When the pair met Monday on Van Susteren's On The Record, they really had it out. (See the video below.) The host called Tyson's comments "disgusting and vile." Carlson agreed with her, saying The Daily Caller story was in no way an endorsement, but rather a news article on "Mike Tyson's verbal attack on Sarah Palin."
The reaction: This was "one of the most hilarious Fox News segments ever aired," says Ellen at News Hounds. "Disgusting, violent comments about women have been made many times on Fox News," but I guess it's only an issue when Sarah Palin is involved. Indeed, Van Susteren is Palin's pal and "biggest media defender," says Joe Gandelman at The Moderate Voice. Obviously, "Tyson's comments were reprehensible," but Carlson is right that Van Susteren "cannot separate her rage over Tyson's sexist comments with her personal friendship, links, and political affinity to Sarah Palin." This is "a particularly clear litmus test for conservatives," says Frances Markel at Mediaite. "Those who adore the cult of personality around Palin more than any ideology will side with Van Susteren, while those would rather see Palin treated on equal footing with other female public figures will undoubtedly side with Carlson." Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week