n case you were running out of things to fret about: Much of the eastern United States is facing a major shortage of pumpkins. From the Midwest to the Atlantic seaboard, and all the way up into Canada, severe weather, disease, and other factors have combined to make this a terrible year for pumpkin-picking. Here, a guide to the "Great Pumpkin Shortage":
What exactly caused this year's pumpkin shortage?
Three main factors: First, Heavy rains in spring and early summer — and subsequent flooding — delayed the planting season for some pumpkin farmers. Second, an outbreak of a fungus called phytophthora that thrives in wet conditions wiped out many pumpkin patches. Finally, Hurricane Irene dealt a pivotal blow to pumpkin growers: One farmer in upstate New York "saw his entire crop, about 15,000 to 20,000 pumpkins, washed into Lake Champlain," says the Associated Press.
Will unscrupulous people start hoarding pumpkins?
It’s possible: "Pumpkin profiteering" has been reported in some areas, and wholesale prices have doubled, according to farmers in the Northeast. As a result, consumers will find pumpkins more expensive. The shortage could have a serious financial impact on farmers who depend on late crops like pumpkins, and on those who run tourist attractions built around pumpkin-picking.
What should consumers do?
First, "get your pumpkins early," says Long Island pumpkin farmer Jim Stakey. But if you can't find one, try carving an "altern-o-lantern" this Halloween: Squash-o-lanterns, watermelon-o-lanterns, and apple-o-lanterns are all viable options, says Edith Zimmerman at The Hairpin.
Sources: Associated Press, Riverfront Times, The Hairpin, TIME
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- How the White House's war on media backfired
- 10 things you need to know today: May 23, 2013
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Did IRS official Lois Lerner waive her right to silence?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee