hoops. A "hilarious" photo of President Obama — taken during his visit this week to the United Nations — is eliciting chuckles worldwide. In a group shot of world leaders at an Open Government Partnership event, the president "moronically" waves his hand — blocking the face of Mongolian President Tsakhia Elbegdorj. (See the image at right and below). While many people initially suspected that this image was a Photoshop creation, it appears to be the real deal. Naturally, commentators are cracking wise. Here, a sampling:
"Don't worry about the dude right behind you, Obama," says Dan Amira at New York. "Just go ahead and be the only person to wave to the camera."
Show of hands
"All incompetent leaders who have no clue what you're doing, raise your hand," quips The Jawa Report.
A true portrait
This "gaffe-tastic photo" confirms what we already knew, says Zombie at Pajamas Media. "Our president is a clueless narcissist."
Maybe, says Kerry Picket at The Washington Times, "the other leaders played a prank and all planned on waving at the same time and then left Mr. Obama waving by himself, while they snickered amongst themselves towards the camera."
A plausible explanation
"Maybe someone was throwing a shoe at the guy," suggests Tommy Christopher at Mediaite. "Or maybe someone waved at the president."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week