The video: Rick Perry's presidential campaign has released a slick online ad dismissing Barack Obama as "President Zero." The video starts out "like a trailer for a zombie movie," with quick cuts showing desolate streets, boarded-up homes, and empty shops. (View the video below). A string of television reporters announce that the country added zero jobs in August. Obama's iconic "O" symbol appears, and is replaced with a zero. The ad then shifts to a cheerier montage of galloping horses and American flags, as Perry, the Texas governor and GOP presidential frontrunner, promises to get the country "working again." "We don't need a president who apologizes for America," Perry says in the video. "I believe in America. I believe in her purpose and her promise. I believe her best days have not yet been lived."
The reaction: This ad "scares me," says Alexandra Petri at The Washington Post. "I understand that 2012 is quickly turning into the Political Apocalypse." But when the frontrunner puts out an ad that resembles "the trailer of a Transformers movie," it's clear "we live in the End Times." C'mon, says John Hinderaker at Power Line. "President Zero" is a "very, very good" ad, and it sets "a new technical and aesthetic standard that other campaigns (most of all President Obama's) will have to try to match." There's no question, this is "Hollywood-caliber" stuff, says Greg Howard at Slate. It may even be "the single greatest cinematic achievement since, like, The Empire Strikes Back. Or at least better than anything we saw in the theater this summer." Take a look:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- 10 things you need to know today: December 18, 2014
- What the media gets wrong about Jeb Bush
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Why Obama was right to give Cuba a 'full bailout'
Subscribe to the Week