Health officials say contaminated cantaloupes have killed as many as 16 people and sickened at least 70 in the last few weeks. That's the deadliest food outbreak in the United States in more than 10 years. What exactly is this new illness, and what can you do to avoid it? Here, a brief guide:
What is this illness?
It's caused by listeria — a food-borne pathogen commonly found "in deli meats and other foods that have been improperly processed," says The Huffington Post. It's less common for listeria to be found in fruits and vegetables, but, as is evident in this case, it can happen. Listeria is quite resilient — cooking and pasteurizing can kill it, but the bacteria can survive freezing and refrigeration. The contaminated fruit in this case has been traced back to Jensen Farms of Holly, Colo., which has distributed cantaloupes to 25 states, reports The Washington Post.
What happens if you ingest listeria?
It can take weeks for the illness' flu-like symptoms — including fever, muscle aches, nausea, diarrhea, and sometimes death — to appear. Part of the delay may be due to people placing the contaminated fruit in their refrigerators, where the bacteria can still "grow and spread" — even jumping to neighboring foods, suggests Lindsay Goldwert at the New York Daily News. As such, officials say we're likely to see many more cases in the coming weeks.
Who's most vulnerable to listeria?
As with many flu-like illnesses, young children, the elderly, and others with weaker immune systems are most at risk. Pregnant women are also particularly susceptible to the illness.
What can you do to stay safe?
Washing potentially infected cantaloupe won't help, as the bacteria can spread inside the fruit. Thus, government officials want consumers to err on the side of caution: "If it's not Jensen Farms, it's OK to eat," says CDC director Thomas Frieden. "But if you can't confirm it's not Jensen Farms, then it's best to throw it out."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 28, 2014
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
Subscribe to the Week