Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week’s question: The Federal Reserve has launched its latest salvo to revive the U.S. economy, dubbed “Operation Twist.” If this attempt doesn’t work, what should the next one be called?
THE WINNER: Operation Garage Sale
Paul Kim, Covington, LA
SECOND PLACE: Operation Write China a Bad Check
Marv Toyer, Carlsbad, CA
THIRD PLACE: Operation Wish
Jim J. Breen, Santa Barbara, CA
HONORABLE MENTIONS: Operation Twits
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
Operation Oliver Twist
John Walsh, Mercer Island, WA
Operation New Coke
Larry & Luann Bonier, Jamestown, RI
Operation Charlie Brown Football Kick
John Parry, Laurel, MD
Operation Okay, Then, Let’s try Shouting
Barrie MacConnell, Coeur d’Alene, ID
Alan Parven, Commerce Twp., MI
Operation Rubik’s Cube
Angela James, Westminster, MD
Operation Printing Press II
Bob Peffers, San Antonio, TX
Operation Bend Over
Diego Torres, Honolulu, HI
So You Think You Can Finance
Jeff Frankenfield, San Francisco, CA
Operation Twist & Scream
Bill Clow, Woodstock, IL
Operation Twist Like You Didn’t Last Summer
Cathy Gallagher, Hancock, NH
Operation Mashed Potato
Pat Geisler, Watervliet, MI
Tom Schuster, Morris, MN
Now We’ll Do the Hokey Pokey
Roman Melnyk, Woodland Hills, CA
Operation Anyone Have a Better Idea?
Mike Honeycutt, Asheville, NC
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Painting the universe's portrait
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week