The video: The second Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, has been striking back for 30 years, but, for young first-time viewers, the shocking moment when arch-villain Darth Vader clarifies hero Luke Skywalker's paternity — "I am your father" — still draws gasps. One eager dad showing the film to his uninitiated kids decided to capture their reactions to the unseemly revelation — and the "priceless" reaction of 4-year-old son Faris has gone viral, racking up more than 1.5 million views. (Watch the clip below.)
The reaction: As flummoxed as you were to learn the truth, this kid probably has you beat, says Wendy Michaels at Babble. Judging by young Faris' face, "I'd say he just got his mind blown!" Hmph, says Kevin L. Clark at Complex. Given the earth-shattering, "awful secret" being revealed, "truthfully the reaction isn't that good." Oh, come on, says Cyriaque Lamar at io9. Even if you're a "cynical" Star Wars fan, this kid's reaction should "melt your cold shriveled heart." Watch for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week