The video: The second Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, has been striking back for 30 years, but, for young first-time viewers, the shocking moment when arch-villain Darth Vader clarifies hero Luke Skywalker's paternity — "I am your father" — still draws gasps. One eager dad showing the film to his uninitiated kids decided to capture their reactions to the unseemly revelation — and the "priceless" reaction of 4-year-old son Faris has gone viral, racking up more than 1.5 million views. (Watch the clip below.)
The reaction: As flummoxed as you were to learn the truth, this kid probably has you beat, says Wendy Michaels at Babble. Judging by young Faris' face, "I'd say he just got his mind blown!" Hmph, says Kevin L. Clark at Complex. Given the earth-shattering, "awful secret" being revealed, "truthfully the reaction isn't that good." Oh, come on, says Cyriaque Lamar at io9. Even if you're a "cynical" Star Wars fan, this kid's reaction should "melt your cold shriveled heart." Watch for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 5 innovative uses for baking soda
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- 10 innovative furniture designs that brilliantly save you space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week