The video: The second Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, has been striking back for 30 years, but, for young first-time viewers, the shocking moment when arch-villain Darth Vader clarifies hero Luke Skywalker's paternity — "I am your father" — still draws gasps. One eager dad showing the film to his uninitiated kids decided to capture their reactions to the unseemly revelation — and the "priceless" reaction of 4-year-old son Faris has gone viral, racking up more than 1.5 million views. (Watch the clip below.)
The reaction: As flummoxed as you were to learn the truth, this kid probably has you beat, says Wendy Michaels at Babble. Judging by young Faris' face, "I'd say he just got his mind blown!" Hmph, says Kevin L. Clark at Complex. Given the earth-shattering, "awful secret" being revealed, "truthfully the reaction isn't that good." Oh, come on, says Cyriaque Lamar at io9. Even if you're a "cynical" Star Wars fan, this kid's reaction should "melt your cold shriveled heart." Watch for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week