The video: The second Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, has been striking back for 30 years, but, for young first-time viewers, the shocking moment when arch-villain Darth Vader clarifies hero Luke Skywalker's paternity — "I am your father" — still draws gasps. One eager dad showing the film to his uninitiated kids decided to capture their reactions to the unseemly revelation — and the "priceless" reaction of 4-year-old son Faris has gone viral, racking up more than 1.5 million views. (Watch the clip below.)
The reaction: As flummoxed as you were to learn the truth, this kid probably has you beat, says Wendy Michaels at Babble. Judging by young Faris' face, "I'd say he just got his mind blown!" Hmph, says Kevin L. Clark at Complex. Given the earth-shattering, "awful secret" being revealed, "truthfully the reaction isn't that good." Oh, come on, says Cyriaque Lamar at io9. Even if you're a "cynical" Star Wars fan, this kid's reaction should "melt your cold shriveled heart." Watch for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Rise of the machines
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week