The NBA announced earlier this week that the first two weeks of its 2011-12 basketball season will be canceled, after the league's players and owners failed to reach a new labor deal. Here, a by-the-numbers account of how that adds up in terms of lost revenue for the players, the league, and the vendors dependent on the games:
Annual NBA revenue. The major point of dispute in negotiations is how to share that revenue.
Total number of games scrapped by canceling the first two weeks of the season
About $1 million
Amount in revenue the Sacramento Kings lose per canceled game, says CBS News, an amount typical of most small-market NBA teams
Amount lost in ticket sales per canceled game
Amount loss in parking revenue per canceled game
Amount lost in vendor sales per canceled game
Amount per month the players will collectively lose during the lockout
Amount Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant loses because of the two-week cancellation, according to Brian Reed at The Post Game — the most of any player.
Value of Bryant's three-year contract. While it's hard to label multimillionare NBA players as victims, says Reed, "it is also difficult to imagine losing a paycheck that amounts to an unfathomable fortune every two weeks."
Amount Washington Wizards star Rashard Lewis loses because of the two-week cancellation
Amount Lewis typically earns each season
Amount advertisers spent on NBA broadcasts last season, a number that dwindles with each cancelled game, says Kimberly Nordyke at The Hollywood Reporter
Days the previous 1998 NBA lockout lasted
Days the current NBA lockout has lasted so far
Number of regular season games each team ended up playing during the 1998 season
Number of regular season games each team was scheduled to play during the 1998 season, the same amount originally scheduled for the current season
Sources: AP, CBS News, ESPN, Hollywood Reporter, Opposing Views, Post Game
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week