he NBA announced earlier this week that the first two weeks of its 2011-12 basketball season will be canceled, after the league's players and owners failed to reach a new labor deal. Here, a by-the-numbers account of how that adds up in terms of lost revenue for the players, the league, and the vendors dependent on the games:
Annual NBA revenue. The major point of dispute in negotiations is how to share that revenue.
Total number of games scrapped by canceling the first two weeks of the season
About $1 million
Amount in revenue the Sacramento Kings lose per canceled game, says CBS News, an amount typical of most small-market NBA teams
Amount lost in ticket sales per canceled game
Amount loss in parking revenue per canceled game
Amount lost in vendor sales per canceled game
Amount per month the players will collectively lose during the lockout
Amount Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant loses because of the two-week cancellation, according to Brian Reed at The Post Game — the most of any player.
Value of Bryant's three-year contract. While it's hard to label multimillionare NBA players as victims, says Reed, "it is also difficult to imagine losing a paycheck that amounts to an unfathomable fortune every two weeks."
Amount Washington Wizards star Rashard Lewis loses because of the two-week cancellation
Amount Lewis typically earns each season
Amount advertisers spent on NBA broadcasts last season, a number that dwindles with each cancelled game, says Kimberly Nordyke at The Hollywood Reporter
Days the previous 1998 NBA lockout lasted
Days the current NBA lockout has lasted so far
Number of regular season games each team ended up playing during the 1998 season
Number of regular season games each team was scheduled to play during the 1998 season, the same amount originally scheduled for the current season
Sources: AP, CBS News, ESPN, Hollywood Reporter, Opposing Views, Post Game
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week