The NBA announced earlier this week that the first two weeks of its 2011-12 basketball season will be canceled, after the league's players and owners failed to reach a new labor deal. Here, a by-the-numbers account of how that adds up in terms of lost revenue for the players, the league, and the vendors dependent on the games:
Annual NBA revenue. The major point of dispute in negotiations is how to share that revenue.
Total number of games scrapped by canceling the first two weeks of the season
About $1 million
Amount in revenue the Sacramento Kings lose per canceled game, says CBS News, an amount typical of most small-market NBA teams
Amount lost in ticket sales per canceled game
Amount loss in parking revenue per canceled game
Amount lost in vendor sales per canceled game
Amount per month the players will collectively lose during the lockout
Amount Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant loses because of the two-week cancellation, according to Brian Reed at The Post Game — the most of any player.
Value of Bryant's three-year contract. While it's hard to label multimillionare NBA players as victims, says Reed, "it is also difficult to imagine losing a paycheck that amounts to an unfathomable fortune every two weeks."
Amount Washington Wizards star Rashard Lewis loses because of the two-week cancellation
Amount Lewis typically earns each season
Amount advertisers spent on NBA broadcasts last season, a number that dwindles with each cancelled game, says Kimberly Nordyke at The Hollywood Reporter
Days the previous 1998 NBA lockout lasted
Days the current NBA lockout has lasted so far
Number of regular season games each team ended up playing during the 1998 season
Number of regular season games each team was scheduled to play during the 1998 season, the same amount originally scheduled for the current season
Sources: AP, CBS News, ESPN, Hollywood Reporter, Opposing Views, Post Game
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week