The image: Barbie, Mattel's iconic doll, has seen and done a lot in her 50 years. Now, for the first time, she's been inked with a tattoo (see photo below). This isn't Totally Stylin' Tattoos Barbie who came with benign removable stickers a few years ago. The new "tokidoki Barbie" — designed by Simone Legno, Italian creator of the Japanese-influenced lifestyle brand, tokidoki — has permanent ink running up her left arm and across her chest. Mattel says tokidoki Barbie is a "funky fashionista," with a pink bob and skull-heart sweater to complement her "trendy tattoos." The doll isn't being marketed to kids — it's for sale on Mattel's Barbie Collector website for $50. But will covering Barbie with body art taint her wholesome image?
The reaction: Tokidoki Barbie "is essentially harmless and actually quite cute," says Souzan Michael at Trendhunter, but who are we kidding? A lot of conservative parents are going to be outraged. It's not hard to see why they'll think this Barbie's a bad influence, says This Fangirl Life. All that ink has turned "America's most prissy and disproportionate fashion model" into a "horrible hipster/socialite hybrid." Maybe this doll will spark a few "can I get tattooed like Barbie" requests, says MSN New Zealand's CLEO blog. "But we have to say, the design is super pretty." Besides, most other celebrities have tattoos these days, so it was only a matter of time before the constantly reinvented Barbie got one, too. Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week