The video: Former President Bill Clinton celebrated his 65th birthday and the 10th anniversary of the Clinton Foundation this weekend with a star-studded event that included live performances by Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder. The event also featured a Funny or Die video that put the former president alongside Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Matt Damon, Sean Penn, Kristen Wiig, Ted Danson, Mary Steenburgen, and Kevin Spacey. (Watch it below.) The "hilarious" video, which was posted online Tuesday, spoofs the foundation by featuring the stars using their "celebrity creativity" to brainstorm ideas for Clinton Foundation initiatives. A frustrated Stiller tries hard to keep the A-list gang on track, but it's just bad idea after bad idea. Wiig suggests reducing carbon emissions by making everyone on Earth hold their breath for one minute a day. Damon suggests starting a softball team. And Penn just wants everyone to stop stealing his lunch "from the breakroom fridge."
The reaction: This is "an instant Funny or Die classic," says Lucas Shaw at The Wrap. Seriously, "you almost can't believe how hilariously self-aware" all the celebs are, says Aly Semigran at Entertainment Weekly. This "is potentially the single greatest argument of why Hollywood and politics should mix." Kevin Spacey deserves a shout-out for his "dynamite Clinton impression," says Sarah Anne Hughes at The Washington Post. Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week