Many Occupiers of Wall Street are young, passionate, and seemingly unconstrained by employment… perhaps making them ideal reality TV stars. MTV, at least, seems to think so. Bunim/Murray, the production company behind the cable channel's The Real World, has posted a Craigslist ad looking for Occupy Wall Street protesters — who "appear to be between the ages of 20-24" and have "unique stories" — to appear on the next season of the long-running reality show. A Bunim/Murray spokesperson says the company is merely trying to cast a wide net to field a diverse cast. Still, commentators are snarking out. Here, a sampling of the reactions:
"Are you sick of corporations having their way in America?" says Melissa Bell in The Washington Post. "Part of the 99 percent? Between the ages of 20 and 24? Love making out in hot tubs?"
"Apparently oldsters in the OWS movement — anyone who even looks like they might be 29 — need not apply," quips Deadline Hollywood.
How did this happen? "Maybe the agency saw the Hot Chicks of Occupy Wall Street Tumblr," suggests Adrianne Jeffries at The New York Observer.
Talk about an upgrade
"While the ad doesn't disclose the location of the show's 27th season, it's safe to say that the interior of the house — wherever it is — will be considerably more comfortable than the demonstration's standard tarp-and-sleeping-bag combo, if not less ugly," says Caroline Bankoff at New York.
Strike a pose
"Great idea. A protest itself is a lot like a reality show anyway," says Ann Althouse at her blog. "There's a lot of posing and performing for cameras."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
Subscribe to the Week