Many Occupiers of Wall Street are young, passionate, and seemingly unconstrained by employment… perhaps making them ideal reality TV stars. MTV, at least, seems to think so. Bunim/Murray, the production company behind the cable channel's The Real World, has posted a Craigslist ad looking for Occupy Wall Street protesters — who "appear to be between the ages of 20-24" and have "unique stories" — to appear on the next season of the long-running reality show. A Bunim/Murray spokesperson says the company is merely trying to cast a wide net to field a diverse cast. Still, commentators are snarking out. Here, a sampling of the reactions:
"Are you sick of corporations having their way in America?" says Melissa Bell in The Washington Post. "Part of the 99 percent? Between the ages of 20 and 24? Love making out in hot tubs?"
"Apparently oldsters in the OWS movement — anyone who even looks like they might be 29 — need not apply," quips Deadline Hollywood.
How did this happen? "Maybe the agency saw the Hot Chicks of Occupy Wall Street Tumblr," suggests Adrianne Jeffries at The New York Observer.
Talk about an upgrade
"While the ad doesn't disclose the location of the show's 27th season, it's safe to say that the interior of the house — wherever it is — will be considerably more comfortable than the demonstration's standard tarp-and-sleeping-bag combo, if not less ugly," says Caroline Bankoff at New York.
Strike a pose
"Great idea. A protest itself is a lot like a reality show anyway," says Ann Althouse at her blog. "There's a lot of posing and performing for cameras."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
Subscribe to the Week