any Occupiers of Wall Street are young, passionate, and seemingly unconstrained by employment… perhaps making them ideal reality TV stars. MTV, at least, seems to think so. Bunim/Murray, the production company behind the cable channel's The Real World, has posted a Craigslist ad looking for Occupy Wall Street protesters — who "appear to be between the ages of 20-24" and have "unique stories" — to appear on the next season of the long-running reality show. A Bunim/Murray spokesperson says the company is merely trying to cast a wide net to field a diverse cast. Still, commentators are snarking out. Here, a sampling of the reactions:
"Are you sick of corporations having their way in America?" says Melissa Bell in The Washington Post. "Part of the 99 percent? Between the ages of 20 and 24? Love making out in hot tubs?"
"Apparently oldsters in the OWS movement — anyone who even looks like they might be 29 — need not apply," quips Deadline Hollywood.
How did this happen? "Maybe the agency saw the Hot Chicks of Occupy Wall Street Tumblr," suggests Adrianne Jeffries at The New York Observer.
Talk about an upgrade
"While the ad doesn't disclose the location of the show's 27th season, it's safe to say that the interior of the house — wherever it is — will be considerably more comfortable than the demonstration's standard tarp-and-sleeping-bag combo, if not less ugly," says Caroline Bankoff at New York.
Strike a pose
"Great idea. A protest itself is a lot like a reality show anyway," says Ann Althouse at her blog. "There's a lot of posing and performing for cameras."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week