The image: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo star Rooney Mara is already making fashion waves for her magazine photo spreads in costume as bisexual, computer-hacking heroine Lisbeth Salander, sporting the character's punk-goth wardrobe, severely cropped hair, and bleached blond eyebrows. Now, Swedish clothier H&M has announced that fashionistas around the world will be able to emulate Salander's style, too. H&M's new fashion line, inspired by the upcoming film adaptation of Steig Larsson's best-selling murder mystery, will be sold in select H&M stores and online starting Dec. 14, a week before the film debuts. The collection of tattered jeans and cropped leather jackets was conceptualized by the movie's costume designer, Trish Summerville, who calls it a "more fashionable version" of the film's wardrobe. (See an image below.)
The reaction: These clothes really do produce that "quintessential Lisbeth look," says Christopher Rosen at Moviefone, though her "bleached eyebrows, tattoos, and piercings" are probably not included. It at least "makes perfect cross-promotional sense," says Sarah Anne Hughes at The Washington Post. Once the film hits theaters, girls everywhere will likely be inspired to ape Salander's fierceness. Still, the line is "slightly absurd" — Salander isn't exactly a "fashionista." And let's be honest, says Kevin Jagernauth at Indie Wire. More-or-less identical clothes can be found on "your average rack at Hot Topic." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week