his week, Finnish gaming company Rovio Entertainment announced via an animated video press release that its hit mobile game Angry Birds has been downloaded an "astounding" 500 million times since its 2009 debut. The implausibly addictive game lets players propel animated birds from a sling shot, all in a quest to destroy evil pigs who have stolen the birds' eggs. Here's a by-the-numbers look at the milestone:
Months it took for the game to reach the 500-million-download milestone. It was first released for Apple's iOS in December 2009.
Number of levels of the game that have been played
Number of birds that have been shot
Number of stars collected. (Players win zero to three stars at the end of each level, depending on their performance.)
Number of minutes each day that Rovio estimates the game is played worldwide
Number of hours per year that estimate equals
Number of years that the total amount of Angry Birds game-play to date adds up to
Number of countries in which Angry Birds is the top downloaded game
Amount Rovio is estimated to be worth by Chief Marketing Officer Peter Vesterbacka
Number of Angry Birds toys sold worldwide, says Chloe Albanesius at PC World
Number of films based on Angry Birds currently in development, according to the U.K.'s Guardian. It's being eyed for a 2015 release.
Number of Angry Birds games based on a film. Angry Birds Rio, inspired by the animated movie Rio, was released in March 2011.
Number of times Angry Birds Rio was downloaded in its first 10 days of release, says Jeffrey Van Camp at Digital Trends
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week