he video: Kim Kardashian isn't the only reality star being accused of faking out her fans. This week, comedian Sean Klitzner took to his web show The Fixify to prove that at least one scene in Jersey Shore was staged. (Watch the video below.) Klitzner breaks down the scene, in which an Italian bar patron appears to throw ice at Snooki and her pint-sized doppelganger Deena, prompting a screaming Snooki to go on a bottle-breaking rampage. Among Klitzner's revelations: An earpiece-wearing, walkie-talkie-toting producer actually threw the ice; the bottles Snooki smashed were mixers strategically planted along the bar; and the whole affair appears to be completely (and not-so-carefully) orchestrated.
The reaction: "Who didn't know that all these reality shows are staged?" says Darren O at Starcasm. But "believing something and knowing something" are two different things — and this proves "beyond a reasonable doubt" that Jersey Shore is phony. Klitzner's argument is "pretty convincing," says Molly Friedman at Wetpaint, but "we have a few issues with his analysis." Because we don't actually see the ice thrower in action, we can't absolutely say it was the producer. Plus, it's fairly common for bartenders to line their mixers up on the bar for easy drink-making. Either way, says Warming Glow, the Jersey scene could teach Klitzner a thing or two about crafting a viral video. His own clip forces viewers to endure a full minute of unfunny intro before he gets to the juicy stuff. See for yourself:
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why European women are still smoking like chimneys
- China's massive pollution problem
- Fear of dying alone drives women AND men into bad relationships
- Laura van den Berg's 6 favorite unconventional mystery novels
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
Subscribe to the Week