The video: How could they resist? Saturday Night Live mercilessly spoofed the week's biggest entertainment story — the announcement that reality TV star Kim Kardashian had filed for a quickie divorce from NBA player Kris Humphries after just 72 days of marriage. (Watch it below.) "Whoopsies, I got divorced," grins Kim, played by SNL cast member Nasim Pedrad, as she introduces a parody of E!'s wedding special, titled "Kim's Fairytale Divorce." The entire Kardashian clan gets roasted in the "laugh-out-loud funny" clip which skewers mom Kris Jenner's shameless camera-hogging, Humphries' questionable I.Q., stepdad Bruce Jenner's expressionless face, and Kim's affinity for dating athletes: "Things are looking up for me. I'm single, and there's an NBA lock-out."
The reaction: "We couldn't wait for Saturday Night Live to sink its teeth into Kim Kardashian's divorce," says The Wrap. Thankfully, "the show did not disappoint." While Pedrad's imitation of Kim was spot-on and amusing, says Aly Semigran at Entertainment Weekly, it was Kristen Wiig's performance as "momager" Kris Jenner that "was the most cutting," hilariously pinpointing her desperate need to refer to herself as the fourth Kardashian sister. "This was an easy target," says Ryan McGee at HitFix, but the show hit it splendidly. See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week