The image: Thanks to toymaker JAKKS Pacific, Aerosmith rocker Steven Tyler is now a not-especially-youthful Cabbage Patch Kid decked out in tight jeans and an abundance of beaded bracelets and necklaces. The Tyler doll — along with four other one-of-a-kind celebrity Cabbage Patch Kids intended to resemble Al Roker, Katherine Heigl, Raven Symone, and Kristin Chenoweth — is being auctioned on eBay to benefit the Children's Action Network. JAKKS reportedly worked closely with each celebrity to capture his or her "unique personal style." Tyler's doll currently has 39 bids and is priced at $640, with eight days still left in the auction. Raven isn't doing as well — just 14 bids, with the top one at $169.50.
The reaction: Somehow, I doubt little girls are "dying to snuggle up" next to Steven Tyler and Al Roker, says Jessica Wakeman at The Frisky. Let's hope some "deep-pocketed adults" are into these toys, which seem "equal parts random and terrifying." "I never thought I'd see the day when Cabbage Patch Kids became a hot item again," says Linda St. Cyr at Ecorazzi, although these are arguably cooler than those I had as a kid. Still, a Steven Tyler doll? says Theo Spielberg at Noisecreep. Ew: After all, I know kids who've erupted in "tears of horror simply seeing his face in a magazine." Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week