he image: Thanks to toymaker JAKKS Pacific, Aerosmith rocker Steven Tyler is now a not-especially-youthful Cabbage Patch Kid decked out in tight jeans and an abundance of beaded bracelets and necklaces. The Tyler doll — along with four other one-of-a-kind celebrity Cabbage Patch Kids intended to resemble Al Roker, Katherine Heigl, Raven Symone, and Kristin Chenoweth — is being auctioned on eBay to benefit the Children's Action Network. JAKKS reportedly worked closely with each celebrity to capture his or her "unique personal style." Tyler's doll currently has 39 bids and is priced at $640, with eight days still left in the auction. Raven isn't doing as well — just 14 bids, with the top one at $169.50.
The reaction: Somehow, I doubt little girls are "dying to snuggle up" next to Steven Tyler and Al Roker, says Jessica Wakeman at The Frisky. Let's hope some "deep-pocketed adults" are into these toys, which seem "equal parts random and terrifying." "I never thought I'd see the day when Cabbage Patch Kids became a hot item again," says Linda St. Cyr at Ecorazzi, although these are arguably cooler than those I had as a kid. Still, a Steven Tyler doll? says Theo Spielberg at Noisecreep. Ew: After all, I know kids who've erupted in "tears of horror simply seeing his face in a magazine." Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week