Newt Gingrich's surging presidential campaign just got another boost, thanks to the former House speaker's widely praised performance in Wednesday's debate. Yes, Newt's disastrous campaign roll-out in the spring was widely ridiculed. But now, with Herman Cain dogged by a sexual harassment scandal, Rick Perry crippled by pathetic debate performances, and Michele Bachmann reduced to an asterisk, conservatives are renewing the search for an alternative to moderate frontrunner Mitt Romney. Is Gingrich their man?
Yes. GOP voters realize that Newt could beat Obama: Gingrich's eloquence has fueled his rapid rise from "near zero to third" in the polls, says Dorothy Rabinowitz in The Wall Street Journal. "His greatest asset lies in his capacity to speak to Americans as he has done, with such potency, during the Republican debates," explaining how President Obama is wrecking America and how he will fix it. Finally, GOP voters are "absorbing" the possibility that Gingrich is their "most formidable contender" against the Democratic incumbent.
"Why Gingrich could win"
No. Gingrich has Cain-like skeletons in his closet: Cain's self-destruction is a reminder that anyone who can't submit "to complete scrutiny isn't going to hack it in presidential politics," says Jennifer Rubin at The Washington Post. So Gingrich, "of multiple marriages and ethics violations as speaker of the House," should be the last candidate conservatives turn to now that character is a main concern. Anybody — Romney, Bachmann, or even Rick Santorum — would be safer in that regard than Newt.
"Path to the nomination: How does Cain end?"
And he's just not likable: Suddenly, more and more people are "slobbering" over Gingrich, smitten with his "wonkishness," says Donald Douglas at American Power. No doubt he'll be among the top-tier candidates come the early contests in January, but his supporters should be wary. Let's be honest: Newt is kind of mean. "He's got the worst people skills, seriously. I can't imagine voting for him."
"Newt Gingrich could win the GOP nomination? Newt Gingrich!"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week