Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: If Greece fails to adopt severe austerity measures demanded by European leaders, it may have to abandon the euro as its currency. Rather than return to the drachma, what should Greece call its new currency, to reflect its current political and financial situation?
THE WINNER: Oopa
Richard G. Marcil, Macomb MI
SECOND PLACE: Brokelava
Thomas Saulnier, Springfield, MA
THIRD PLACE: Melodrachma
Kathleen Yacio Sargent, Bedford, TX
Aaron Malver, Seattle, WA
The Greece Spot
Alan Parven, Commerce Twp., MI
Samantha Amedeo, Yellville, AR
Mark Kornick, Sommers, MT
Herman Waltzer, Alabaster, AL
James Fletcher, Peterborough, NH
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
John Besnard, Irvine, CA
The Apollo 13
Zollie Kaplan, St. Louis Park, MN
Heidi Hanssen, St. Louis Park, MN
Tom Haydock, Hartland, CT
Richard Pinover, S. Colton, NY
Patrick Leahy, Albany, OR
William Kelly, San Francisco, CA
Roy Schultz, West Chester, OH
Kol Kaplan, St. Louis Park, MN
Randy Mealer, Defiance, OH
Jeff Schafran, Albany, NY
The Zeusan B. Anthony
Juli Hanssen, St. Louis Park, MN
Sandi Porras, Buena Park, CA
Marianna Lippincott, Columbus, NJ
Jacquie Roland, Saugerties, NY
Joel Greenspan, Atlanta, GA
Dan Pearl, Southborough, MA
Peter Grant, Pearblossom, CA
David Prybock, Pittsburgh, PA
Robert J Davis, Scottsdale, AZ
Steven Bennett, Cambridge, OH
Herb Briggs, Stamford, CT
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week