The image: Talk about a mother-daughter bond. The Lake and Stars, a New York-based lingerie and swimwear company, is making waves for a new ad campaign that features a pale, red-headed 19-year-old girl posing seductively in lingerie with her tan, fit, silver-haired mother, also in skimpy lingerie. (See the images at right and below.) "There's no shock value here," says Maayan Zilberman, the company's co-owner. "We're not trying to make people feel uncomfortable in order to provoke dialogue." These images are just about the "psychology between women as they're growing up and dealing with family politics or women in the workplace."
The reaction: "Is this sexy, disturbing, or awkward?" says Leon Watson at Britain's Daily Mail. Regardless, this "provocative" campaign "cleverly extends its branding," says Scallywag at Scallywag & Vagabond. It forces the consumer to "take the extra second to consider what it is what we are witnessing and how or why it intrigues and... perhaps repulses us." Well, I don't think these images are worth my time, says Meredith Carroll at Babble. This is a publicity stunt, pure and simple. Judge for yourself:
Photo: Tom Hines
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week