The image: Talk about a mother-daughter bond. The Lake and Stars, a New York-based lingerie and swimwear company, is making waves for a new ad campaign that features a pale, red-headed 19-year-old girl posing seductively in lingerie with her tan, fit, silver-haired mother, also in skimpy lingerie. (See the images at right and below.) "There's no shock value here," says Maayan Zilberman, the company's co-owner. "We're not trying to make people feel uncomfortable in order to provoke dialogue." These images are just about the "psychology between women as they're growing up and dealing with family politics or women in the workplace."
The reaction: "Is this sexy, disturbing, or awkward?" says Leon Watson at Britain's Daily Mail. Regardless, this "provocative" campaign "cleverly extends its branding," says Scallywag at Scallywag & Vagabond. It forces the consumer to "take the extra second to consider what it is what we are witnessing and how or why it intrigues and... perhaps repulses us." Well, I don't think these images are worth my time, says Meredith Carroll at Babble. This is a publicity stunt, pure and simple. Judge for yourself:
Photo: Tom Hines
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week