The image: Talk about a mother-daughter bond. The Lake and Stars, a New York-based lingerie and swimwear company, is making waves for a new ad campaign that features a pale, red-headed 19-year-old girl posing seductively in lingerie with her tan, fit, silver-haired mother, also in skimpy lingerie. (See the images at right and below.) "There's no shock value here," says Maayan Zilberman, the company's co-owner. "We're not trying to make people feel uncomfortable in order to provoke dialogue." These images are just about the "psychology between women as they're growing up and dealing with family politics or women in the workplace."
The reaction: "Is this sexy, disturbing, or awkward?" says Leon Watson at Britain's Daily Mail. Regardless, this "provocative" campaign "cleverly extends its branding," says Scallywag at Scallywag & Vagabond. It forces the consumer to "take the extra second to consider what it is what we are witnessing and how or why it intrigues and... perhaps repulses us." Well, I don't think these images are worth my time, says Meredith Carroll at Babble. This is a publicity stunt, pure and simple. Judge for yourself:
Photo: Tom Hines
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week