Americans are taking a "startling" amount of mental-health related medications, according to a big new study by Medco Health Solutions. More than 1 in 5 Americans now takes at least one drug to treat a psychological disorder, ranging from antidepressants like Prozac to anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax. Understanding why Americans are taking more pills to treat mental illness "is the next critical goal," says Dr. Martha Sanjatovic in a statement released by Medco. Here's a look this growing trend, by the numbers:
The number of Americans surveyed for prescription drug use from 2001 to 2010
One out of every five U.S. adults takes drugs to treat some type of mental health condition
Percent increase in the number of U.S. adults taking mental health drugs in 2010 compared to 2001
Percent increase in the number of women using antidepressants in 2010 compared to 2001
Proportion of women over the age of 20 who are prescribed antidepressants, like Zoloft and Lexapro
Percent of middle-aged women using anti-anxiety medications
Percent of middle-aged men using anti-anxiety medications
Number of people ages 20 to 44 using antipsychotic drugs (like Resperadol) and ADHD medications (like Ritalin) in 2010 for every one person who used them in 2001
Percent increase in the number of children under age 10 taking antipsychotic medications
Percent increase in the number of girls being prescribed ADHD medications
Percent of people in the "diabetes belt" states of Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Alabama who are on at least one psychiatric drug, according to the AP
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
Subscribe to the Week