Barber, give me the "Hitler Youth." However "jarring" that request may be, it's apparently being made with increasing frequency by men in the world's fashion capitals, including New York and London, according to The New York Times. The "Nazi haircut" goes by other, less offensive names — it's sometimes just shortened to the "Youth" — but no matter what you call it, the look remains the same: Hair buzzed on both sides with the top long and floppy. Of course, the old-school coif, popular among Hitler's soldiers in the 1930s, is not entirely unique to the Third Reich. The style has long been director David Lynch's trademark, and musicians like Win Butler of Arcade Fire and Joe Jonas have rocked the do, too. But should this hairstyle's fascist ties make it verboten?
There's nothing wrong with this: It's a great look, says Stefanie Blejec at The Frisky. Very "modern and edgy." And obviously, those who wear it aren't trying to be "a walking billboard for fascism." It's just a haircut, and if you're considerate with the name, it can be fashion-forward without being tasteless.
"'Hitler Youth" is the hot new hairstyles for dudes, apparently"
Well, it's a bit unsettling: Look, says Stephanie Butnick at Tablet. "Variations of this haircut have been consistently present in pop culture" for a long time. And every time the style comes back, its association with Nazis becomes "more distant." And yet, there's still no denying that it's "a bit jarring" to see this "floppy coif" on a man who's wearing "a military jacket or other item of structured outerwear." It's understandable that some people are upset over this.
"That Hitler Youth 'do is back"
It's more than unsettling: What is wrong with you people? asks Jenna Sauers at Jezebel. How can any self-respecting young man who has studied World War II in school possibly walk into a barbershop and utter a request for this haircut? "Nazi is not a trend! Not for fall or for anytime!" Please, men, "stop the madness."
"Nazi haircut trend sweeps nation"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week