Barber, give me the "Hitler Youth." However "jarring" that request may be, it's apparently being made with increasing frequency by men in the world's fashion capitals, including New York and London, according to The New York Times. The "Nazi haircut" goes by other, less offensive names — it's sometimes just shortened to the "Youth" — but no matter what you call it, the look remains the same: Hair buzzed on both sides with the top long and floppy. Of course, the old-school coif, popular among Hitler's soldiers in the 1930s, is not entirely unique to the Third Reich. The style has long been director David Lynch's trademark, and musicians like Win Butler of Arcade Fire and Joe Jonas have rocked the do, too. But should this hairstyle's fascist ties make it verboten?
There's nothing wrong with this: It's a great look, says Stefanie Blejec at The Frisky. Very "modern and edgy." And obviously, those who wear it aren't trying to be "a walking billboard for fascism." It's just a haircut, and if you're considerate with the name, it can be fashion-forward without being tasteless.
"'Hitler Youth" is the hot new hairstyles for dudes, apparently"
Well, it's a bit unsettling: Look, says Stephanie Butnick at Tablet. "Variations of this haircut have been consistently present in pop culture" for a long time. And every time the style comes back, its association with Nazis becomes "more distant." And yet, there's still no denying that it's "a bit jarring" to see this "floppy coif" on a man who's wearing "a military jacket or other item of structured outerwear." It's understandable that some people are upset over this.
"That Hitler Youth 'do is back"
It's more than unsettling: What is wrong with you people? asks Jenna Sauers at Jezebel. How can any self-respecting young man who has studied World War II in school possibly walk into a barbershop and utter a request for this haircut? "Nazi is not a trend! Not for fall or for anytime!" Please, men, "stop the madness."
"Nazi haircut trend sweeps nation"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week