t might be wise not to count your calories too closely on Thanksgiving. The average American consumes approximately three times the recommended daily dose of calories on the nation's favorite turkey-stuffed holiday. Just how does that break down? If you can stomach it, here's a look at our "massive" Thanksgiving eating, by the numbers:
The amount of calories an average woman needs each day
The amount of calories an average man needs each day
The estimated amount of calories in a typical Thanksgiving meal, including turkey, side dishes, and dessert
5,000 to 6,000
The estimated amount of calories people consume throughout Thanksgiving Day — roughly triple the recommended daily intake
The amount of calories in an average serving of a traditionally prepared Thanksgiving turkey
Grams of fat in an average serving of a traditionally prepared Thanksgiving turkey
The amount of calories in a softball-sized serving of stuffing
Grams of fat in a softball-sized serving of stuffing, or "the amount of fat you'd gobble up in a large, fast food serving of french fries," says Darlene Zimmerman at the Detroit Free Press
The amount of calories in a small, lightbulb-sized slice of pumpkin pie
The amount of calories in a small, lightbulb-sized slice of pecan pie
Calories in a typical three-ounce glass of red wine
The amount of calories needed for the body to create one extra pound of fat
500 to 700
Calories that healthy dieters should aim for in their Thanksgiving meal, as recommended by health experts at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
The number of minutes it takes for a 150-pound person to burn 500 calories by jogging at a moderate pace, according to Livestrong.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
Subscribe to the Week