The video: GetUp!, an Australian advocacy group, has released a "two tissue" video that has quickly become a viral sensation, garnering 1.6 million YouTube views in just four days. The two-minute spot, titled "It's Time," emotionally charts a relationship from the point of view of one half of a couple. (Watch the video below.) The camera shows a man named Paul meeting someone new (who's unseen for most of the clip), then tracks Paul's reactions through a first date, family introductions, illnesses, squabbles, and big celebrations. It all builds to the moment when Paul proposes marriage, at which point his other half steps out from behind the camera, and is revealed to be a man. The video closes with the message: "It's time. End marriage discrimination."
The reaction: This may just be "the most beautiful ad for marriage equality" I've seen, says Lucas Grindley at The Advocate. And its core message — the importance of commitment — should really resonate with people. I hope so, says Mvelase Peppetta at Memeburn. The fight over marriage equality is "still one of the most important civil rights battles" in the world, and as the ad says, it's about time we accepted gay marriage. See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
Subscribe to the Week