ne hundred billion dollars. That's the eye-popping amount at which Facebook's swoon-worthy 2012 IPO could value the social media giant, according to The Wall Street Journal. Here, a brief guide to the figures and the forecasts:
Net worth gained by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg if the IPO values his company at $100 billion
Amount the company reportedly wants to raise in its IPO. That would be one of the largest public stock offerings ever, and the largest for any tech company.
Number of past IPOs valued at more than $10 billion. According to Dealogic, only three — Visa Inc. at $19.7 billion in 2008, General Motors at $18.1 billion in 2010, and AT&T Wireless at $10.6 billion in 2000 — have been U.S. companies.
Amount of stock Industrial & Commercial Bank of China sold when it went public in October 2006 in one of the largest IPOs ever. At the close of its first day of trading, the company's market value was $148 billion.
Revenue Facebook took in in the first half of 2011, according to Reuters. While that's double what the company raked in a year earlier, it's less than investors forecasted. "If Google or any other public company just announced such a revenue miss, its stock would be nosediving," says Sam Hamadeh, a longtime critic of Facebook.
Value of Google when it went public in 2004, after raising $1.9 billion
Google's current market cap
Value of Groupon when the daily deals site went public on November 4
Value of Groupon after its first day of trading
Groupon's current valuation
Percent Groupon's stock has plummeted in the last five days of trading alone
Pandora's value after its first day of trading on June 15
Pandora's value today
More than 800 million
Number of users Facebook has
Approximate value of each user, given Facebook's possible $100 billion evaluation
Users who log into the site daily
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week