he video: It's already hard to escape Mariah Carey's 1994 hit "All I Want for Christmas" during the holiday season — and the song's about to become even more ubiquitous. To the dismay of Carey fans, Justin Bieber has turned the track into a duet for his Christmas album Under the Mistletoe. The just-released video (watch it below), which features Bieber dance-shopping at New York's Macy's department store while Carey wiggles in a suggestive Santa Claus outfit, has dismayed more than Carey fans.
The reaction: I can't tell, says Katie Hasty at HitFix. Is this a music video, or a "four minute commercial for a department store" masquerading as one? The entire insanely consumerist clip seems sponsored by Macy's. Not only is the video awful, says Kelly Schremph at Hollywood, "but highly risque as well." The scantily clad Carey spends the entire time flirting with 17-year-old Bieber. "I just find the whole relationship innately creepy." But at least Carey looks great, says Erin Strecker at Entertainment Weekly. "Seriously, that woman hasn't aged a day since 1994." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
Subscribe to the Week