The video: It's already hard to escape Mariah Carey's 1994 hit "All I Want for Christmas" during the holiday season — and the song's about to become even more ubiquitous. To the dismay of Carey fans, Justin Bieber has turned the track into a duet for his Christmas album Under the Mistletoe. The just-released video (watch it below), which features Bieber dance-shopping at New York's Macy's department store while Carey wiggles in a suggestive Santa Claus outfit, has dismayed more than Carey fans.
The reaction: I can't tell, says Katie Hasty at HitFix. Is this a music video, or a "four minute commercial for a department store" masquerading as one? The entire insanely consumerist clip seems sponsored by Macy's. Not only is the video awful, says Kelly Schremph at Hollywood, "but highly risque as well." The scantily clad Carey spends the entire time flirting with 17-year-old Bieber. "I just find the whole relationship innately creepy." But at least Carey looks great, says Erin Strecker at Entertainment Weekly. "Seriously, that woman hasn't aged a day since 1994." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week