The video: It's already hard to escape Mariah Carey's 1994 hit "All I Want for Christmas" during the holiday season — and the song's about to become even more ubiquitous. To the dismay of Carey fans, Justin Bieber has turned the track into a duet for his Christmas album Under the Mistletoe. The just-released video (watch it below), which features Bieber dance-shopping at New York's Macy's department store while Carey wiggles in a suggestive Santa Claus outfit, has dismayed more than Carey fans.
The reaction: I can't tell, says Katie Hasty at HitFix. Is this a music video, or a "four minute commercial for a department store" masquerading as one? The entire insanely consumerist clip seems sponsored by Macy's. Not only is the video awful, says Kelly Schremph at Hollywood, "but highly risque as well." The scantily clad Carey spends the entire time flirting with 17-year-old Bieber. "I just find the whole relationship innately creepy." But at least Carey looks great, says Erin Strecker at Entertainment Weekly. "Seriously, that woman hasn't aged a day since 1994." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- California's epic drought
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week