wenty-nine-year-old carpenter James Byrne accidently sawed off his left thumb. Surgeons managed to reattach his severed thumb, but he never regained use of it, despite months of treatment. So Byrne's doctors made an "unusual suggestion": Why not replace his thumb with his big toe instead? Here, a brief guide to this strange tale:
When surgeons couldn't get blood flood flowing back into Byrne's reattached thumb, things looked grim. Without a working thumb, he wouldn't be able to do things we take for granted — like opening a door. He certainly would not have been able to do carpentry as before. So his doctors suggested using his dominant toe instead. "Losing a toe would only affect his balance in the short term," says Claire Bates at Britain's Daily Mail. Regaining a moving thumb would allow him to resume his work as a carpenter and plant operator, "therefore outweighing the loss."
And the surgery worked?
So far, yes. The team had to operate simultaneously on Byrne's toe and hand to attach skin, bones, nerves, arteries, tendons, and ligaments so his new thumb would function properly. "I can't bend it yet but I hope to be able to do so soon," says Byrne, who is undergoing physiotherapy. "I never thought it would work but the surgical teams and nurses have done such a fantastic job... I am so, so pleased that I had it done."
Aren't people weirded out?
Some are, yes. Byrne, a father of an 8-year-old, says his new toe-thumb stands out. He's even given it a name: "Toby." Some people "think it's really funny while others are a bit disgusted by it," he says. "My son thinks it's great. I showed it to all of his (friends) and became a bit of a celebrity in the playground for awhile." Even if some people find Byrne's extra-large thumb a little funny, says Jesus Diaz at Gizmodo, "as long as it works, who cares?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week