The video: On this weekend's Saturday Night Live, Alec Baldwin apologized to himself… sort of. The celebrated funnyman, who has hosted the venerable late-night sketch show more times than anyone, made a cameo during Saturday's Weekend Update segment, addressing the headlines he made last week after getting booted off an American Airlines flight for refusing to stop playing the game Words with Friends on his cell phone. (Watch the video below.) In the sketch, Baldwin plays fictional American Airlines pilot Capt. Steve Rogers, who issues a tongue-in-cheek apology to "American treasure" Alec Baldwin. When Weekend Update host Seth Meyers leans in and asks, "Alec, are you sure this is the right way to handle this?" Badwin-as-Rogers plows on: "I am ashamed of the way he was treated." Clearly, Baldwin-as-Rogers says, the 30 Rock star knew airlines' no-cell-phone rules are bogus. "Alec Baldwin was just too smart for us. He really is something, Seth."
The reaction: Sure, Baldwin has had his share of public tantrums, says Jenna Busch at Zap2it, "but he certainly knows how to handle the aftermath." It's like they always say: "Make 'em laugh and the public will forgive you for almost anything." Yes, Baldwin nailed "the argument against mobile devices in the air right in the heart" with his "hilarious" quips, says Jeanne Sager at The Stir. But it's time to give this whole affair a rest. It's been nearly a week, and Baldwin is still whining about getting kicked off a flight when he was the one breaking the rules. "We really wish he would just sit down and shut up." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week