On Friday, thousands lined up for the opening of the new Apple store at Grand Central Station in New York City. The new location is one of Apple's largest in the world. Here, a brief numerical guide to the "stunning" new store:
Square footage of the new Apple store at Grand Central Terminal, making it one of the largest Apple stores in the world, and the second-biggest tenant at Grand Central. The largest space is the 25,000-square-foot Oyster Bar & Restaurant.
People who visited the store on its first day, according to Apple
People around the world who have visited an Apple store this year, according to Apple
People who visited Disney's four biggest theme parks last year
Amount Apple reportedly spent renovating the space at Grand Central
Amount Apple reportedly paid to buy out the previous tenant. The restaurant, Metrazur, wasn't due to move out for eight years. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority may have actually ponied up the $5 million, though agency officials insist that the funds came from Apple
More than 400
Percentage increase in annual rent the MTA will reportedly collect from this space now that Apple has replaced Metrazur
Amount per square foot that Apple is paying for the space, according to some reports. That's well below many of Apple's Grand Central neighbors, prompting a probe by the state Assembly.
Amount per square foot that Apple is paying, according to Aaron Donovan, an MTA spokesman. Apple is "quadrupling the rent we receive and bringing foot traffic to Grand Central Terminal that will increase revenue from all of our retailers," he says.
Amount per square foot that upscale restaurant Cipriani pays at Grand Central. Apple may be paying a premium rental price because it did not agree to share revenue with the MTA, unlike all of the station's other 99 tenants.
People who are expected to pass by the store each day
Sales the new store is expected to net for Apple each year
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week