aming giant Activision launched the latest installment of its Call of Duty franchise on Nov. 8, and already, the game is breaking loads of sales records. To gloat about its success, Activision once again "compared the sales performance of COD with major Hollywood releases," says T.C. Sottek at The Verge. In 2009, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 eclipsed the first-week box office receipts of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and The Dark Knight. This year, Activision says Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 took down Avatar. Here, a by-the-numbers look at MW3's golden November:
Days it took Modern Warfare 3 to reach $1 billion in sales
Months it took Modern Warfare 2 to reach $1 billion in sales in 2009
Days it took Avatar to hit $1 billion in sales
Suggested retail price for Modern Warfare 3
Average price for Avatar tickets in 2009, according to Box Office Mojo
Number of copies of Modern Warfare 3 sold in November
Number of those copies sold in the first 24 hours
Sales of Modern Warfare 3 in the first five days
Total video game hardware, software, and accessories sold in November, according to research firm NDP
Total video game hardware, software, and accessories sold from December 2010 to November 2011
Number of players who joined Call of Duty Elite — an online service that allows gamers to better communicate and strategize, among other things — since the game's Nov. 8 launch
Number of players who signed up for premium Call of Duty Elite subscriptions in the first six days
Cost of annual Call of Duty Elite subscription
Time it took Netflix, Hulu Plus, XBox Live, and Sirius XM to each reach 1 million paid subscribers, according to Activision
- The man who sued his wife for birthing an ugly baby
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
Subscribe to the Week