Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: As we ring in the New Year, we asked you to predict a headline that we most definitely will NOT see in 2012.
THE WINNER: U.S. Loans China 3 Trillion Dollars
Jean Howard, Dallas, GA
SECOND PLACE: Dept of Agriculture Alters Food Pyramid to Include McRib
Mike Paul, Carrboro, SC
THIRD PLACE: President Trump Gets a Crew Cut!
Shirley Blanchard, Mission Hills, CA
Obama Signs 9-9-9 Tax Plan Into Law
Cali Preston, Perry Hall, MD
Happy Anniversary, Kim Kardashian!
James Kennedy, Shreveport, LA
Boehner Bill Prohibits Tanning Beds
Chris Stewart, Arnold, MD
Herman Cain to Host Miss Universe Contest
Larry Robinson, Palisade, CO
Ricky Gervais to Host 2013 Golden Globes
David Moore, Portland, OR
Lindsay Lohan to Serve Actual Jail Time
David Levin, Edgewater, MD
New York Times Endorses Santorum
Rosemarie Null, Lititz, PA
Congress Tops Apple Pie in Poll
Steve Adams, Annapolis, MD
Apple Drops "i" in iPhone and iPod
J. Kyle Richards, Towson, MD
Congress Celebrates Group Hug Day
Marci Williams, Bainbridge Island, WA
Cubs Sweep Royals to Win World Series
Bruce Gregg, Madison, WI
Second Arab Spring Yields Flowering Democracies
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
Ahmadinejad to Celebrate Yom Kippur in Jerusalem
Chris Call, Santa Rosa, CA
Iran Returns Drone in Change of Heart
Kristen Kansiewicz, Lynn, MA
Time's Person of the Year: "America's Rising Middle Class"
William Cohen, Delmar, NY
Congress Forgoes Salary & Benefits to Boost Economy
Herman Waltzer, Alabaster, AL
Woman Named Taliban Leader
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, CO
Everything Is Just Fine
Wanda Kline, Ocean City, NJ
Mayan Predictions for 2013
Peg O'Neil, Bloomingdale, NJ
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week