GOOD DAY FOR:
Researchers have discovered the world's first hybrid shark in Australia. Common black-tip and Australian black-tip sharks are mating, researchers suggest, in an attempt to adapt to climate change, since their offspring can handle a broader range of water temperatures than each individual species. [The Daily What]
The man behind the design of your favorite Apple products has been knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. Jonathan Paul Ive helped Steve Jobs bring Apple back to life in the late 1990s with the iMac, and later helped design the iPod, iPhone and the iPad. [TIME]
Researchers in Germany and Israel announced that they have successfully grown mouse sperm in a laboratory. The breakthrough could pave the way for technology that allows infertile men to father their own children instead of relying on donated sperm. [Telegraph]
BAD DAY FOR:
Twenty gold bars discovered on a Paris train last week have turned out to be fake. Had the bars been real, they would have been worth around $1 million. [BBC]
Letting bygones be bygones
Herman Cain, the onetime GOP frontrunner felled by allegations of sexual impropriety, will reportedly not endorse any of his former Republican rivals because none of them supported his 9-9-9 tax plan. Cain reportedly hopes this move will "take the wind" out of the Iowa caucuses. [Business Insider]
Doing the Dew
PepsiCo, the company that manufactures Mountain Dew, is being sued by a Wisconsin man who claims to have found a dead mouse in a can of the yellow soft drink in 2009. Pepsi's strange — and somewhat sickening — defense is that the ingredients in Mountain Dew would have caused the mouse to dissolve into a "jelly-like" goo, making the man's story unlikely. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 2, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week