GOOD DAY FOR:
Researchers have discovered the world's first hybrid shark in Australia. Common black-tip and Australian black-tip sharks are mating, researchers suggest, in an attempt to adapt to climate change, since their offspring can handle a broader range of water temperatures than each individual species. [The Daily What]
The man behind the design of your favorite Apple products has been knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. Jonathan Paul Ive helped Steve Jobs bring Apple back to life in the late 1990s with the iMac, and later helped design the iPod, iPhone and the iPad. [TIME]
Researchers in Germany and Israel announced that they have successfully grown mouse sperm in a laboratory. The breakthrough could pave the way for technology that allows infertile men to father their own children instead of relying on donated sperm. [Telegraph]
BAD DAY FOR:
Twenty gold bars discovered on a Paris train last week have turned out to be fake. Had the bars been real, they would have been worth around $1 million. [BBC]
Letting bygones be bygones
Herman Cain, the onetime GOP frontrunner felled by allegations of sexual impropriety, will reportedly not endorse any of his former Republican rivals because none of them supported his 9-9-9 tax plan. Cain reportedly hopes this move will "take the wind" out of the Iowa caucuses. [Business Insider]
Doing the Dew
PepsiCo, the company that manufactures Mountain Dew, is being sued by a Wisconsin man who claims to have found a dead mouse in a can of the yellow soft drink in 2009. Pepsi's strange — and somewhat sickening — defense is that the ingredients in Mountain Dew would have caused the mouse to dissolve into a "jelly-like" goo, making the man's story unlikely. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 2, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week