The video: Universal Studios Orlando closed its storied Jaws ride on Jan. 2 after a two-decade run. The one-time cutting-edge shark-themed adventure and the surrounding Amity Village shops are being torn down for a new attraction — reportedly an expansion of the popular Wizarding World of Harry Potter from Universal's neighboring Islands of Adventure park. For those who missed their chance to hop aboard Captain Jake's Amity Boat Tours, or are mourning the loss of a ride they cherished as children, fans at Inside the Magic created what they call the "ultimate tribute" to the Steven Spielberg–inspired ride: An elaborately filmed and edited video walk-through. (Watch it below.)
The reaction: The Jaws ride didn't have any "drops or mind-numbing speed," says James Plafke at Geekosystem. But it "always felt more fun than, oh, I don't know, a slow tour through tiny, animatronic, ethnic children singing about togetherness." And even though theme parks are constantly "removing your favorite rides and foods, and destroying your childhood," I'm surprised and sad to see Jaws go. "Yes, the crown jewel of our civilization's robotic shark novelties" is lost forever, says Cyriaque Lamar at io9. So thanks, Inside the Magic, for helping to "soften the blow." Watch, and "remember the good times":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How science can help you survive scary movies
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week