The video: Universal Studios Orlando closed its storied Jaws ride on Jan. 2 after a two-decade run. The one-time cutting-edge shark-themed adventure and the surrounding Amity Village shops are being torn down for a new attraction — reportedly an expansion of the popular Wizarding World of Harry Potter from Universal's neighboring Islands of Adventure park. For those who missed their chance to hop aboard Captain Jake's Amity Boat Tours, or are mourning the loss of a ride they cherished as children, fans at Inside the Magic created what they call the "ultimate tribute" to the Steven Spielberg–inspired ride: An elaborately filmed and edited video walk-through. (Watch it below.)
The reaction: The Jaws ride didn't have any "drops or mind-numbing speed," says James Plafke at Geekosystem. But it "always felt more fun than, oh, I don't know, a slow tour through tiny, animatronic, ethnic children singing about togetherness." And even though theme parks are constantly "removing your favorite rides and foods, and destroying your childhood," I'm surprised and sad to see Jaws go. "Yes, the crown jewel of our civilization's robotic shark novelties" is lost forever, says Cyriaque Lamar at io9. So thanks, Inside the Magic, for helping to "soften the blow." Watch, and "remember the good times":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week