GOOD DAY FOR:
Target was praised for supporting the special needs community after featuring a 6-year-old boy with Down syndrome as a model in its latest catalog. [The Daily What]
British researchers studying the effects of drug use on middle-aged brain function say 50-year-olds with a history of marijuana use scored higher on memory tests than non-users. [Newser]
A New Mexico couple was delighted to find their missing $4,500 wedding ring — in the stomach of their 10-month-old basset hound. The vet informed them basset hounds have a tendency to eat rocks. [Huffington Post]
BAD DAY FOR:
Going under the knife
Next time you have surgery, you might want to watch your surgeon wash up. Two out of three medical students failed a hand hygiene test given by researchers from Germany's Hannover Medical School. [The Atlantic]
Ohio Police arrested and charged a man with felonious assault after he allegedly stabbed another man for not knowing that Beyonce is married to rapper Jay-Z. [BuzzFeed]
Bank of America rejected a participant in a mortgage modification program after he was short by 80 cents on his second trial payment. The man was trying to pay by phone, and accidentally pressed the wrong button. [The Consumerist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 4, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week