GOOD DAY FOR:
Target was praised for supporting the special needs community after featuring a 6-year-old boy with Down syndrome as a model in its latest catalog. [The Daily What]
British researchers studying the effects of drug use on middle-aged brain function say 50-year-olds with a history of marijuana use scored higher on memory tests than non-users. [Newser]
A New Mexico couple was delighted to find their missing $4,500 wedding ring — in the stomach of their 10-month-old basset hound. The vet informed them basset hounds have a tendency to eat rocks. [Huffington Post]
BAD DAY FOR:
Going under the knife
Next time you have surgery, you might want to watch your surgeon wash up. Two out of three medical students failed a hand hygiene test given by researchers from Germany's Hannover Medical School. [The Atlantic]
Ohio Police arrested and charged a man with felonious assault after he allegedly stabbed another man for not knowing that Beyonce is married to rapper Jay-Z. [BuzzFeed]
Bank of America rejected a participant in a mortgage modification program after he was short by 80 cents on his second trial payment. The man was trying to pay by phone, and accidentally pressed the wrong button. [The Consumerist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 4, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week