OOD DAY FOR:
Canine survival skills
A Welsh corgi named Ole miraculously showed up alive four days after being swept away by a Montana avalanche that tragically took the life of the dog's owner. [TIME]
Beating the odds
Celebrated physicist Stephen Hawking is preparing for his 70th birthday on Sunday. Hawking was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease at age 21, an affliction that most people die of within a few years of being diagnosed. [Newser]
A new e-reader prototype gives a nod to the good old days by allowing users to physically turn the pages of whatever they're reading. The book-like device has two facing parts: An LCD monitor on the left, and a flexible rubber sheet on the right, which, when thumbed, will "turn" pages on the screen. [Discovery News]
BAD DAY FOR:
After regular customers complained that presidential candidates' "whole kissing babies routine" was interrupting local residents' mealtimes, a restaurant in Portsmouth, N.H., introduced a "no politicians, no exceptions" policy. [The Pajama Pundit]
Toy makers' research skills
The makers of a triceratops toy were humiliated on YouTube by a young girl who mercilessly pointed out the many flaws — missplaced and missing horns, mostly — in their dinosaur design. [Gothamist]
A lack of snow is costing the winter recreation industry tens of millions of dollars. Only 19 percent of the nation has snow — less than half of what's normal at this point in the season. [CBS News]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 5, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week