GOOD DAY FOR:
Political fashion statements
You don't have to love GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum to appreciate the man's obsession with sweater vests. But if you want to own one, you'll have to show your support. The campaign will reward donors willing to pony up $100 with one of Santorum's signature sweaters. [USA Today]
Jay-Z and Beyonce have reportedly already spent more than $1 million on their newborn daughter, Blue Ivy Carter. Their purchases are said to include a crystal-studded high chair and a solid gold rocking horse. [Newser]
After years of trouble with the law, the scandal-stained actress Lindsay Lohan may be making a comeback. She is reportedly slated to play the iconic Elizabeth Taylor in a new project. [Celebuzz]
BAD DAY FOR:
A 62-year-old woman in Florida was charged with aggravated battery after she allegedly attacked her husband with a hammer. According to the police report, the woman "was upset because Judge Judy was on the television." [The Smoking Gun]
Having cake, eating it too
The TSA is defending its decision to confiscate frosted cupcakes from a woman at the Las Vegas airport. "This wasn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill cupcake," an agent says. The cupcakes were packed in a jar that also contained icing, which apparently exceeded the TSA's limit for "gel" allowed in carry-on luggage. [Jezebel]
Canines' calming influence
A new study shows that the average dog causes three family arguments every week, or nearly 2,000 family arguments over the course of each dog's lifetime. [Telegraph]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 9, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week