OOD DAY FOR:
Political fashion statements
You don't have to love GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum to appreciate the man's obsession with sweater vests. But if you want to own one, you'll have to show your support. The campaign will reward donors willing to pony up $100 with one of Santorum's signature sweaters. [USA Today]
Jay-Z and Beyonce have reportedly already spent more than $1 million on their newborn daughter, Blue Ivy Carter. Their purchases are said to include a crystal-studded high chair and a solid gold rocking horse. [Newser]
After years of trouble with the law, the scandal-stained actress Lindsay Lohan may be making a comeback. She is reportedly slated to play the iconic Elizabeth Taylor in a new project. [Celebuzz]
BAD DAY FOR:
A 62-year-old woman in Florida was charged with aggravated battery after she allegedly attacked her husband with a hammer. According to the police report, the woman "was upset because Judge Judy was on the television." [The Smoking Gun]
Having cake, eating it too
The TSA is defending its decision to confiscate frosted cupcakes from a woman at the Las Vegas airport. "This wasn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill cupcake," an agent says. The cupcakes were packed in a jar that also contained icing, which apparently exceeded the TSA's limit for "gel" allowed in carry-on luggage. [Jezebel]
Canines' calming influence
A new study shows that the average dog causes three family arguments every week, or nearly 2,000 family arguments over the course of each dog's lifetime. [Telegraph]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 9, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week