OOD DAY FOR:
Rapper Jay-Z says the birth of his daughter has inspired him to no longer use the word "b*tch" in reference to women. [BuzzFeed]
A world-renowned wingsuit flier says he feels better than ever after surviving a 200-foot freefall during a BASE jump off Cape Town's Table Mountain that went horribly wrong. [The Daily What]
Scientists confirm they have found 315 long-lost fossils collected by evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin. The fossils were found in a dusty corner of the British Geological Survey. [Christian Science Monitor]
BAD DAY FOR:
Audio between the Italian Coast Guard and the captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship surfaces, confirming that the captain refused to go back on board and help passengers still stranded after he abandoned the sinking ship. [NPR]
A new study finds that the number of headphone-wearing pedestrians injured or killed near roadways and railways has tripled over the last six years. [Gawker]
A Louisiana official proposes an ordinance that would prohibit local residents from wearing pajama pants in public. [Death and Taxes]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 13, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
Subscribe to the Week