GOOD DAY FOR:
Rapper Jay-Z says the birth of his daughter has inspired him to no longer use the word "b*tch" in reference to women. [BuzzFeed]
A world-renowned wingsuit flier says he feels better than ever after surviving a 200-foot freefall during a BASE jump off Cape Town's Table Mountain that went horribly wrong. [The Daily What]
Scientists confirm they have found 315 long-lost fossils collected by evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin. The fossils were found in a dusty corner of the British Geological Survey. [Christian Science Monitor]
BAD DAY FOR:
Audio between the Italian Coast Guard and the captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship surfaces, confirming that the captain refused to go back on board and help passengers still stranded after he abandoned the sinking ship. [NPR]
A new study finds that the number of headphone-wearing pedestrians injured or killed near roadways and railways has tripled over the last six years. [Gawker]
A Louisiana official proposes an ordinance that would prohibit local residents from wearing pajama pants in public. [Death and Taxes]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 13, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week