GOOD DAY FOR:
Rapper Jay-Z says the birth of his daughter has inspired him to no longer use the word "b*tch" in reference to women. [BuzzFeed]
A world-renowned wingsuit flier says he feels better than ever after surviving a 200-foot freefall during a BASE jump off Cape Town's Table Mountain that went horribly wrong. [The Daily What]
Scientists confirm they have found 315 long-lost fossils collected by evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin. The fossils were found in a dusty corner of the British Geological Survey. [Christian Science Monitor]
BAD DAY FOR:
Audio between the Italian Coast Guard and the captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship surfaces, confirming that the captain refused to go back on board and help passengers still stranded after he abandoned the sinking ship. [NPR]
A new study finds that the number of headphone-wearing pedestrians injured or killed near roadways and railways has tripled over the last six years. [Gawker]
A Louisiana official proposes an ordinance that would prohibit local residents from wearing pajama pants in public. [Death and Taxes]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 13, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why we gossip, according to science
Subscribe to the Week