GOOD DAY FOR:
Rapper Jay-Z says the birth of his daughter has inspired him to no longer use the word "b*tch" in reference to women. [BuzzFeed]
A world-renowned wingsuit flier says he feels better than ever after surviving a 200-foot freefall during a BASE jump off Cape Town's Table Mountain that went horribly wrong. [The Daily What]
Scientists confirm they have found 315 long-lost fossils collected by evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin. The fossils were found in a dusty corner of the British Geological Survey. [Christian Science Monitor]
BAD DAY FOR:
Audio between the Italian Coast Guard and the captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship surfaces, confirming that the captain refused to go back on board and help passengers still stranded after he abandoned the sinking ship. [NPR]
A new study finds that the number of headphone-wearing pedestrians injured or killed near roadways and railways has tripled over the last six years. [Gawker]
A Louisiana official proposes an ordinance that would prohibit local residents from wearing pajama pants in public. [Death and Taxes]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 13, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to cook a perfect rib eye steak
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
Subscribe to the Week