OOD DAY FOR:
Singing in the rain
An American musician invents a "singing house" that translates rain, sunshine, and other weather patterns into the appropriate ambient music. [Animal New York]
Impatient fans of Super Bowl commercials
Volkswagen releases a teaser for its upcoming Super Bowl commercial (which will air during the Feb. 5 game). Three words: The Bark Side. [BuzzFeed]
Reinventing the textbook
Apple announces that it will bring full-screen digital textbooks to the iPad in an attempt to make textbooks more engaging for students. [Financial Times]
BAD DAY FOR:
Rapper Jay-Z denies the recent rumors that the birth of his daughter inspired him to drop the word "b*tch" from his lyrics. [Death and Taxes]
A chagrined, video-camera-wielding dad tries explaining the mechanics of vinyl records to his 13-year-old daughter, who is simply baffled by the cumbersome disc. [The Daily What]
A Slovenian Olympic skier comes under scrutiny for wearing a type of underwear that allegedly gave her an unfair advantage during a race in Austria. [TIME]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 18, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week