OOD DAY FOR:
Singing in the rain
An American musician invents a "singing house" that translates rain, sunshine, and other weather patterns into the appropriate ambient music. [Animal New York]
Impatient fans of Super Bowl commercials
Volkswagen releases a teaser for its upcoming Super Bowl commercial (which will air during the Feb. 5 game). Three words: The Bark Side. [BuzzFeed]
Reinventing the textbook
Apple announces that it will bring full-screen digital textbooks to the iPad in an attempt to make textbooks more engaging for students. [Financial Times]
BAD DAY FOR:
Rapper Jay-Z denies the recent rumors that the birth of his daughter inspired him to drop the word "b*tch" from his lyrics. [Death and Taxes]
A chagrined, video-camera-wielding dad tries explaining the mechanics of vinyl records to his 13-year-old daughter, who is simply baffled by the cumbersome disc. [The Daily What]
A Slovenian Olympic skier comes under scrutiny for wearing a type of underwear that allegedly gave her an unfair advantage during a race in Austria. [TIME]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 18, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Will Fox News cost the Republican Party the 2016 election?
- Watch Lady Gaga roast a pig, ride a bull, and get 'puked' on at SXSW
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show skewer Fox News over its food stamp obsession
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Republican Party is becoming the party of ideas again
- Legal pot is so lucrative it now has professional Washington lobbyists
- What would a Rand Paul vs. Hillary Clinton presidential campaign look like?
- The week's best photojournalism
- Why is the 'mor' in 'Voldemort' so evil-sounding?
Subscribe to the Week