GOOD DAY FOR:
Singing in the rain
An American musician invents a "singing house" that translates rain, sunshine, and other weather patterns into the appropriate ambient music. [Animal New York]
Impatient fans of Super Bowl commercials
Volkswagen releases a teaser for its upcoming Super Bowl commercial (which will air during the Feb. 5 game). Three words: The Bark Side. [BuzzFeed]
Reinventing the textbook
Apple announces that it will bring full-screen digital textbooks to the iPad in an attempt to make textbooks more engaging for students. [Financial Times]
BAD DAY FOR:
Rapper Jay-Z denies the recent rumors that the birth of his daughter inspired him to drop the word "b*tch" from his lyrics. [Death and Taxes]
A chagrined, video-camera-wielding dad tries explaining the mechanics of vinyl records to his 13-year-old daughter, who is simply baffled by the cumbersome disc. [The Daily What]
A Slovenian Olympic skier comes under scrutiny for wearing a type of underwear that allegedly gave her an unfair advantage during a race in Austria. [TIME]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: January 18, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week